Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Double

People in Jalazone think I look like Gilad Shalit (the young Israeli soldier kidnapped by Hamas last year, recently reported - perhaps for political reasons- to be in worsening health*). Quite a lot of people have made this comparison, independently, and I've also heard it being muttered in passing. At first, I was a little disconcerted by this, but they seem to hold him in quite affectionate regard, unlike the soldiers who rampage through the camp from time to time and are viewed with rather less equanimity. Gilad, I (sincerely) hope you're being treated with at least a little of the kindness I've received, and that someday not too distant you can know Palestinians as hosts and not captors.



* http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6237458.stm

No comments: